The Montessori 3 Part Cards are an important part of the Montessori classroom settings. These are basic 3 part cards that enable the child to learn the names of objects in the environment. Remember that a child wants to learn about their environment, world, their surroundings: they are always asking questions: ‘What is this?’
The Montessori 3 Part cards provide the simple answer to their curiosity and questions. We must provide our children with the names of objects in their environment. So things we can sure them in the concrete. The next best option if that is not possible is to use pictures. We use the 3 part Cards to ensure that we can easily pass on the information (names) to the child without much fuss.
The cards are in their simplicity made up of 3 parts:
- a picture with a name label
- a picture
- a label
How to use the 3 Part Cards
For children under 3 years old
- Use the picture card to teach them the names of the object. ( you may use the 3 period lessons to achieve this) If you are wondering what this is, then simply put, a) name the object, b) ask the child to pick the object out from a choice of 3 pictures then lastly, c) point to the picture on another day and ask them for the name. If the child can go through this process at different times not on the same day, and can recall the name, then you are sure they have learned the name.
- You may do a presentation of the picture and label card as well as the picture card. Present 3 or 4 sets of cards at random on a work mat, then proceed to match the pictures. Then get the child to do the same. Matching is a very important pre reading and writing skill that the children need to develop.
For children over 3 years old:
- Get the children to match the 3 cards together correctly, by doing a presentation using 3 to 4 sets of the cards, always ensure that the children know and can name the objects first. Match the random placed cards together in their correct sets and get the children to do the same.
- Once the children have started reading they can now work on matching the picture cards to just the label cards and now the picture and label cards will serve as the control cards. (control cards are the control of error cards in the Montessori setting, this is what enables the child to work independently as they can correct themselves and learn on their own.)
Children over 4 years old
- They can use the labels as additional reading and writing exercises after matching the card. This form of repetition makes the learning process more interesting for the child. They may decide to draw, colour and then write out the name of the object.
- You can use these cards to extend their knowledge of subjects such as Geography, Science, Zoology, Botany, Music, History etc.
At this stage the cards may have an additional card added to the set. This is the definition card, which gives the child a definition and brief summary of the object.
Addlo Montessori Training Center in partnership with Montessori Nigeria Resources has designed a few sets of 3 Part Cards for Sale.